newbie question

From: Boris Carlos <bp_at_airtel.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 12:16:46 +0100

Hi,

    I have been working with SQL Server 6.5 and 2000 for about 3 years and starting to use oracle (installed it the weekend) and encountered a few problems (I'm sorry if these seem stupid questions but I am new to Oracle) -- 9i release 2 redhat linux 8 ---

    1.- I install oracle OK (create the groups, the oracle user, tweak memory of kernel) but when I tried to connect with SQLPLUS I get a Oracle not available. So I configured another port with Oracle network configuration and It now connect ok. Is this normal or something going wrong?

    2.- When I login with SQLPLUS how can I specify the database (If I understand the listener listens to different ports for each database).

    3.- I hear there is an Oracle Enterprise manager (like SQL Server's one) where is it located?, I looked in the bin directory and can't find it (I installed the database and client tools of the oracle 9i2 cd's)

    4.- Is there any (integrated or third party) tools to create stored procedures like SQL server's query analyzer, is there any tool like SQL Server's profiler.

    5.- I know there is a lot of information out there and the documentation on the CD is excellent but is there a fast guide on setting oracle up on Linux.

Thank you. Received on Mon Mar 10 2003 - 05:16:46 CST