Re: Best way to partition this data?

From: Albert <nothere_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2003 14:02:49 -0000

Jusung,
Thanks for your help.

Generally, the database will be for 'reports' after a fashion ie data analysis.
I will need to interrogate the database to produce numerous aggregate tables.
The use of each query will be dependent on the value of the aggregate data - which will
not be known until the data has been produced - so its a bit of a chicken and egg situation.

However the query most popular entry points are likely to be Order date and Item Id/Type.

I did mention that an obvious candidate for denormalisation in the Order date down to the Item table. Otherwise
it would only make sense to denormalise everything and produce an Order-Item table which I think is overkill as they both have many attributes, most of which would be redundant for any given report.

I was just looking for some general instinctive pointers/observations for a 'good' starting point for partitioning.

My instinct would be to denormalise the date, and partition the Items by date range - the only other contenders are order number or item number. The Items contain ids to other tables for which I can produce partioned indexes.

I can try trial and error - but how long with it take to repartition this data on a medium range PC?

I haven't tried it yet and I am loath to in case it takes a couple of days! - Maybe it just takes a couple of hours or less?

Cheers, Al