Re: Best way to partition this data?

From: Jusung Yang <JusungYang_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 6 Mar 2003 18:51:54 -0800

I suspect that you are building a DSS and the modeling part of the job is not quite done yet - otherwise you would not have mentioned denormalization. I would firm up on the logical design first before tackling the physical design. If this is a data warehouse application and you have followed the dimensional modeling approach, you might end up with something called "degenerate dimensions" - which usually occurr in line-item oriented fact table design (refer to p.188 "The Data Warehouse Lifecycle Toolkit" by Ralph Kimball). If this is your case, then the order ID should go to the fact table.

If this is not the case, and you are trying to generate reports from the production system, then that's another story... I hate generate reports from the production system. It is difficult and usually slow.

In any case, I would write down top 10 queries that are likely to run most frequently against the tables and then take a look at the where clause and go from there.