Best way to partition this data?

From: Albert <nothere_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2003 20:20:01 -0000

Hi,
I'm using 8.1.7 on a standalone database. I have around 15,000 'header' records per year indexed on date and a unique id (not sequential with the date) - lets say they are 'Orders' 10 'detail' records per header indexed on the header id and its own 'item' id - lets say they are 'Items'.
Together they form a unique index for the item row.

I have around 15 years worth of data.

Now the natural way to partion the Order data is on date, say 1 per year. However, I am not sure of the best way to partition the Items table. It will be SQL accessed via the Order table or by its own id in equal measure.
Also a query on range of transactions for the Items across dates will be required.

Generally the methods of access with be as you would expect for a sort of 'Orders' database.

Should I partition the Items table on the Order reference number, or perhaps on a range of its own Item id?
Or should I denormalise the Order date down to the Item table and partition on this so the partion 'matches' the Order partion?

I appreciate you cannot give hard and fast opinions without knowing the application specifically. But being a form of the ubiquitous 'Order database' any insights would be helpfull.

Thanks Received on Thu Mar 06 2003 - 14:20:01 CST