Re: Using the + statement in a Select statement

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2003 13:21:29 -0800

Isaac Blank wrote:

> This is called "outer join" . I recommend that you look it up in Oracle
> docs or a good general SQL book. Also, you should start using ANSI-style
> syntax for outer joins (that is, if you are using Oracle 9) - it is much
> more powerful and much less ambigious
>
> "BenignVanilla" <BenignVanillaMYSPLEEN_at_tibetanbeefgarden.com> wrote in
> message news:b3o1dg$1nmm48$1_at_ID-152254.news.dfncis.de...
> > I am working on a project where I am joining several tables. We found that
> > not all of the tables had matching records, so we were getting many less
> > records then expected. Someone suggested we use the + statement on the
> right
> > side of our join statements...This solved the problem, returning the
> proper
> > number of records.
> >
> > I can't find any documentation on the + statement. Can anyone educate me?
> >
> > --
> > BenignVanilla
> > tibetanbeefgarden.com
> > x-no-archive: yes
> >
> > Remove MY SPLEEN to email me.

ANSI joins are no more powerful and ambiguity is in the eyes of the beholder.

Are there things such as the full outer join best accomplished in ANSI rather than ISO syntax? Of course. But for the most common syntactic joins ... inner, left-outer, and right-outer ... you won't find a whole lot of text in the FROM clause making more sense than an equals sign or (+) to anyone that didn't learn SQL with Oracle. At least not for another five or more years.

While I know and teach the ANSI syntax. I learned Oracle more than 10 years ago and would only write it if I had a compelling reason to do so.

Daniel Morgan Received on Fri Feb 28 2003 - 15:21:29 CST