Re: Oracle locks

From: Stefano <nodaris_at_tiscalinet.it>
Date: 28 Feb 2003 12:27:06 -0800

jocave_at_yahoo.com (Justin Cave) wrote in message news:<233b7a65.0302271411.33be799b_at_posting.google.com>...
> nodaris_at_tiscalinet.it (Stefano) wrote in message news:<fb6a39f3.0302260820.7365e4c8_at_posting.google.com>...
> > DA Morgan <damorgan_at_exesolutions.com> wrote in message news:<3E5BDA7F.EDC35DDF_at_exesolutions.com>...
> >
> > The business case is that I have to keep track of how much time is
> > spent by a user on a specific record, by either editing or reviewing
> > it. The tricky part is that the Client-Server application accessing
> > the data is "off the shelf" and I can't modify the source code. To
> > complicate even more they would like to keep track also of the time
> > the users spend by simply viewing the record; they can infact open a
> > case through the interface, review and close it withouth making any
> > modification (but this time should be measured anyway).
> > Being not able to see what's inside the client program, I discovered
> > that at the Oracle level when a record is displayed on screen, the
> > program locks it for update and therefore I thought that if I can keep
> > track of when the lock is created and destroyed I can have the start
> > and the end of the activity made on it, regardless of the action
> > (insert, update or simply review).
>
> Is this an application that the users are always going to have up
> during working hours? Tom Kyte's Expert One-on-One Oracle has a
> section on using autonomous transactions to audit select statements on
> tables. You could build an audit trail that way to show that user A
> pulled up customer 001's record at 9:01 am, 003's record at 9:07 am,
> etc. If the application is always up, or you're more interested in
> how frequently a user is accessing different records, you could say
> that user A spent at most 6 minutes looking at customer 001's record.
>
> Justin Cave

Thank you Justin for the suggestion, and thank you to all of you that have answered to my question.
I think I'll try an alternative solution. By the way I have forwarded some of your comments to the guy that asked me to made such tracking system and he found them "very interesting..." I think I'll have to buy micro cameras then
:-)

Regards

Stefano Received on Fri Feb 28 2003 - 14:27:06 CST