Re: First Email of the Day (Re: OT: The Irony in It!)

From: Pablo Sanchez <pablo_at_dev.null>
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2003 14:18:54 -0600

"phoenix" <patient0_at_skynetWORK.be> wrote in news:emFrJtjxCHA.2660 @TK2MSFTNGP09:
> Finally a smart remark. I was beginning to doubt that there were
> linux users with brains, seems you prove that there are.

There are plenty of Linux folks with 'big brains' <g> ... similar to SQL Server users as well ... the real question is why bother getting into the fray.

I have yet to see one piece of software in one area address everyone's needs. :)

> The need to reboot is indeed a major 'mistake' of MS. And I don't
> understand why it's necessary to reboot. Why can't they just unload
> the libraries, replace them and then load them again?

I have a Linux database server (dual athlon 1800+, 2G of memory) as well as Windows machines in my office. At times, I've had to burn down either one of these machines and the fact remains that rebuilding a Windows machine is a major pain with all the reboots. With the Linux box, I install, say RH 7.3, and run _one_ 'up2date' and I'm done upgrading to the latest patch set.

I realize that building a box from scratch isn't common however the point is that just about all installs on Windows seem to require a reboot. It's very annoying to lose one's context.

FWIW, I'm making my windows box look more and more like a *nix environment:

(and no, I have nothing to gain on the above but thought folks might be interested)

I'm hoping that the desktop tools on Linux get better so I can truly get full Office emulation - the tools are there but IMO, they're not quite mature enough - and migrate back to a *nix environment.

--
Pablo Sanchez, High-Performance Database Engineering
http://www.hpdbe.com