Re: Connecting VISIO Pro to remote Oracle 9i 2.0.1 instance (reverse engineering)

From: Pete Sharman <peter.sharman_at_oracle.com>
Date: 24 Jan 2003 19:19:41 -0800

In article <uFugG5$wCHA.440_at_TK2MSFTNGP12>, "Visual says...

>There should be no problem of using the ODBC driver from Oracle 9i. As long
>as they implemented the ODBC API correctly. However, you will need to try
>them out.
>
>>What is the general path to connect VISIO to Oracle to reverse engineer the
>DB (any how-to, good postings on the subject, links)?
>You have to go thru the ODBC help. It should provide help for you to
>connect.
>
>One thing to note is that, You can also use the ODBC test app (More info on
>http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/odbc/htm/od
>bc_test_overview.asp). This is a test app which you can use to test the
>connectivity to the backends.
>
>Regards,
>Patrick Tseng

Patrick

Completely off topic, but I wonder if you know that some newsgroup readers (certainly the one I use at least - newsguy.com) truncates your From address to 10 letters so it displays as "Visual Stud"? Of course, if that's the way you want it, who am I to disagree? :)

Pete

>--
>confers no rights.
>"Andrew" <myfam_at_surfeu.fi> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>> I have VISIO installed. Oracle is on the remote Sun box.
>> I noticed VISIO has some its own drivers (Microsoft ODBC for Oracle,
>> Oracle ODBC driver).
>> Do I have to install Oracle 9i ODBC or other Oracle's components to
>> connect it with VISIO?
>> What is the general path to connect VISIO to Oracle to reverse
>> engineer the DB (any how-to, good postings on the subject, links)?
>>
>> Thanks!

HTH. Additions and corrections welcome.

Pete

SELECT standard_disclaimer, witty_remark FROM company_requirements; Received on Fri Jan 24 2003 - 21:19:41 CST