Re: Oracle on Win2K vs. HP/UX

From: Karsten Farrell <kfarrell_at_belgariad.com>
Date: Tue, 07 Jan 2003 22:58:40 GMT

Sean wrote:
> Does anyone know of whitepaper(s) addressing the advantages of running
> Oracle Server in the Unix environment vs. Windows?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Sean Johnson

Do you mean an *unbiased* whitepaper? I've noticed that any comparison between Unix and Windows is like witnessing a religious war. Few people can be objective when they're defending their favorite O/S.

Oracle on Windows is simple to setup/install, but gets more difficult to run later ... with all the multiple homes ... and registry fiddling ... and starting/stopping services without walking over to the server. Yes, I know Windows has a Terminal Services Client; but compared to telnet, it can be really slow. Under Windows, I have a choice of GUI tools (some people vehemently consider this an advantage) ... or I can open a DOS window and do all the command-line stuff.

Oracle on Unix is more complicated to setup/install, but gets easier to run later. If you have a tight-fisted sysadmin, you'll find it very difficult to install Oracle without them sitting there with you (you have to be 'root' at certain points). With telnet, you don't have to get up from your desk to do anything (maybe my expanding waistline is an argument for having to walk to our Windows server). Without an X Windows terminal (or emulator), you're "stuck" with a command-line interface (some people vehemently consider this an advantage).

I believe (someone can correct me if I'm wrong), Oracle's primary development platforms are: Sun Solaris and Windows 2000. If I read the trade mags correctly, there's not a lot of love lost between Ellison (Oracle) and Gates (Microsoft).

Just as an aside, I read in a trade journal the other day that the number of security CERTs logged against Linux just surpassed Windows. So it looks like Linux is becoming more popular among the cracker-crowd. And soon they'll have to hold their tongue when bashing Microsoft for all the security holes.

Too bad Oracle doesn't run on a Mac. They're a really fanatic group. Now watch, someone will tell me that Oracle Server does run on a Mac. Received on Tue Jan 07 2003 - 16:58:40 CST