Re: Didn't mean to ruffle any feathers

From: Rauf Sarwar <rs_arwar_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 4 Jan 2003 18:17:25 -0800

"George" <junk_at_ixsis.com> wrote in message news:<v1HR9.429446$pN3.47838_at_sccrnsc03>...

> > Wonderful! Thanks
> >
> > Now this opens a whole new can of worms for me.
> >
> > The first one to come to mind is the select * statement. I am assuming that
> > this can be a lengthy operation if the table has many fields and modifying
> > the table later would rise cause to modify all procedures that contain a
> > select * from the modified table.
> >
> > Also how then does the procedure return records to the client, or does it
> > not? I then surmize that using procedures to return records to the client is
> > might not be the prefered method but rather a view?

This is your follow up post most probably everyone is referring to. Your initial post was answered adequately with corrected code. However, even with few hours on hand, and the fact that it takes few hours for a post to be posted and replied to, you still wanted to parse out in depth why a certain code is used and why not something else... thus resulting in some of the replies that you recieved.

> Sorry to inform you but the only system in our facility with any Oracle
> access did NOT have the docs installed. As far as the 'I dont have time'
> excuse, I guess you work in an environment where you can just get up, go to
> a book store, spend the day reading and come back just in time to do the
> whole project. You must have missed the key point to my dilema. I had about
> 6 hours do get this done. No warning, no prep, no resources, no manuals, no
> web access and no experience with Oracle.
>
> I turned to the only place I could for help and that help was for the most
> part not very helpful. Tell me, what would you do in my situation?

We all get short deadlines. Sometimes because of irrational managers (as in your case) but it is expected that job must be done by the deadline. You scramble to get the job done and find help from wherever... *BUT* I am sure you do not expect from people on this NG to take time out from their schedule to reply *in detail* to a follow up post which clearly should be referenced in the SQL manual and Oracle docs after you meet your deadline.... i.e. unless you want to pay an hourly rate to buy services of some of the people here.

Regards
/Rauf Sarwar Received on Sat Jan 04 2003 - 20:17:25 CST