Re: Performace on VERY simple database...

From: Frank <fbortel_at_home.nl>
Date: Fri, 03 Jan 2003 12:25:18 +0100

Bert Bear wrote:
> Frank,
>
> I'm not following. I totally agree with you, the only way to insure an
> order (e.g. sort) is by using the "ORDER BY" clause. I do find there is
> sometimes (and I mean sometimes) a performance advantage, when reloading /
> recreating a table and using a subquery (in the insert or create) with an
> ORDER BY clause.
>
> Bert
>

> "Frank" <fbortel_at_home.nl> wrote in message news:3E149C76.1010507_at_home.nl...
>

>>Bert Bear wrote:
>>
>>>Stephan,
>>>
>>>Ah, didn't you post this question as part of a thread in
>>>comp.database.oracle.server?
>>>

>>He did...
>>
>>And you don't sort! The fact that your records are sorted the same
>>way is pure chance!!!
>>
>>Sort is done by using the ORDER BY clause.
>>
>>Frank

Hmmm understand you don't follow, as I was too lazy to answer twice - the sort bit was intended for the op, the he did bit for you.

Your performance benefits would probably be on large tables; kinda' reorg of the table, tho I cannot explain that for the latest versions (extents not being a performance issue, and all that). Indexes would be reorganized as well, and that could be benificial (non even distributed values in the tree).

Anyone with in depth knowledge care to explain this performance gain when rebuilding a table with a select * from org_table order by x?

Frank Received on Fri Jan 03 2003 - 05:25:18 CST