Re: finding # of days between two dates?

From: Martin Doherty <martin.doherty_at_elcaro.moc>
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 17:53:45 -0800

"Allah does not subtract from a man's allotted span, those hours spent fishing." (Wouldn't it be great if the same were to apply to R'ing TFM?) :-)

I believe we should not be discouraging people from asking exquisitely simple questions to the NG that could easily be answered by a quick dip into the appropriate manual. Here's why:

Imagine a universal scale of Oracle wisdom, from 1 to 10. We are all born with a score of 0, and the unfortunate masses will enter the afterlife without ever improving this score. The lucky few (whether by choice or need) embark on the path to enlightenment, and may enter these holy newsgroups seeking truth and wisdom. Others who have trod that path before them may return here to dispense their wisdom to those who seek it.

Let's say a person at Level 1 (who has a logon and a smattering of SQL, or is reincarnated from a previous life of SQL Server) wants to know how to find out the number of days between two dates. The high priests of Levels 8, 9 and 10 may look down from their lofty perches and poo-poo all over the poor ignorant seeker, with admonishments to lock himself away in his cell and pore over the holy tomes to find the revealed truth. This is their privilege, as it is the privilege of the poor Level 1 noddy to submit his question to begin. However, it is a golden opportunity for an enthusiastic initiate who has recently earned her Level 2 robe to assist her fellow seeker. In so doing, this selfless individual will probably check the manual, test out a few examples to ensure her own understanding before attempting to explain the matter to her hapless fellow traveller (naturally wanting to avoid some poo-poo herself). Thus the understanding or immediate need of the Level 1 novice is satisfied, and the understanding of the Level 2 initiate is deepened. There is no better way to learn something than to teach it. If all questions could only be addressed by those close to attaining Nirvana, this opportunity would be lost to the others who have further to travel.

Here are my suggestions to remove the rancor and eliminate the flame wars. Naturally the gentle reader is at liberty to accept them, ignore them or express their disgust and start a flame war.

1. Figure out which level you are on.
2. Decide what level of questions you are prepared to answer.
3. When you read a question, assign it the appropriate level.
4. Decide whether you wish to assist the asker or not.
5. If you decide to assist, do so with grace and good humor.
6. If you decide not to assist, transfer your attention to worthier
matters and be happy that you have created an opportunity for a fellow traveller to receive the benefits of answering the question. Refrain from dishing out poo-poo.
7. Remember that 'guru' means 'teacher'. One who is not prepared to teach is not, by definition, a guru.

Bless you all,
Martin

(Level 5, open to all levels of questions)