Re: finding # of days between two dates?

From: Karsten Farrell <kfarrell_at_belgariad.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2002 17:11:20 GMT

Martin Doherty wrote:
> "Allah does not subtract from a man's allotted span, those hours spent
> fishing." (Wouldn't it be great if the same were to apply to R'ing TFM?)
> :-)
>
> I believe we should not be discouraging people from asking exquisitely
> simple questions to the NG that could easily be answered by a quick dip
> into the appropriate manual. Here's why:
>
> Imagine a universal scale of Oracle wisdom, from 1 to 10. We are all
> born with a score of 0, and the unfortunate masses will enter the
> afterlife without ever improving this score. The lucky few (whether by
> choice or need) embark on the path to enlightenment, and may enter these
> holy newsgroups seeking truth and wisdom. Others who have trod that path
> before them may return here to dispense their wisdom to those who seek it.
>
> Let's say a person at Level 1 (who has a logon and a smattering of SQL,
> or is reincarnated from a previous life of SQL Server) wants to know how
> to find out the number of days between two dates. The high priests of
> Levels 8, 9 and 10 may look down from their lofty perches and poo-poo
> all over the poor ignorant seeker, with admonishments to lock himself
> away in his cell and pore over the holy tomes to find the revealed
> truth. This is their privilege, as it is the privilege of the poor Level
> 1 noddy to submit his question to begin. However, it is a golden
> opportunity for an enthusiastic initiate who has recently earned her
> Level 2 robe to assist her fellow seeker. In so doing, this selfless
> individual will probably check the manual, test out a few examples to
> ensure her own understanding before attempting to explain the matter to
> her hapless fellow traveller (naturally wanting to avoid some poo-poo
> herself). Thus the understanding or immediate need of the Level 1 novice
> is satisfied, and the understanding of the Level 2 initiate is deepened.
> There is no better way to learn something than to teach it. If all
> questions could only be addressed by those close to attaining Nirvana,
> this opportunity would be lost to the others who have further to travel.
>
> Here are my suggestions to remove the rancor and eliminate the flame
> wars. Naturally the gentle reader is at liberty to accept them, ignore
> them or express their disgust and start a flame war.
> 1. Figure out which level you are on.
> 2. Decide what level of questions you are prepared to answer.
> 3. When you read a question, assign it the appropriate level.
> 4. Decide whether you wish to assist the asker or not.
> 5. If you decide to assist, do so with grace and good humor.
> 6. If you decide not to assist, transfer your attention to worthier
> matters and be happy that you have created an opportunity for a fellow
> traveller to receive the benefits of answering the question. Refrain
> from dishing out poo-poo.
> 7. Remember that 'guru' means 'teacher'. One who is not prepared to
> teach is not, by definition, a guru.
>
> Bless you all,
> [...]
Amen brother! Spoken like a true master!

I agree. Sometimes I kinda know the answer ... but in my attempt to at least verify that I know what I think I know, I look it up (well, maybe not always) before answering a question. That helps me as well. I only wish there was a way to enforce your thoughts in this (and other) NGs. Received on Tue Nov 12 2002 - 11:11:20 CST