Re: Oracle internal NUMBER type

From: Jaroslaw Gramacki <J.Gramacki_at_iie.pz.zgora.pl>
Date: Tue, 05 Nov 2002 10:04:19 GMT

On Tue, 5 Nov 2002 12:09:34 +0300, "Vladimir M. Zakharychev" <bob_at_dpsp-yes.com> wrote:

>Different processors implement floating-point arithmetic differently.
>Besides, Oracle may be ran on a platform with no FPU unit whatsoever.
>At the same time, Oracle guarantees portability of values with precision
>up to 38 decimal digits across all supported platforms. No wonder they
>implemented floating-point math that way...

OK, but ...
Say you have a looooot of data in your database and need to perform math intensive calculations on them.
What would be better - perform all math (algorithms) in e.g pl/sql or outside oracle in e.g C language but in the latter you are thrown back on float, double or long double.
And what if you perform some calculations in oracle and some outside?