Re: Oracle internal NUMBER type

From: Vladimir M. Zakharychev <bob_at_dpsp-yes.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2002 12:09:34 +0300

Different processors implement floating-point arithmetic differently. Besides, Oracle may be ran on a platform with no FPU unit whatsoever. At the same time, Oracle guarantees portability of values with precision up to 38 decimal digits across all supported platforms. No wonder they implemented floating-point math that way...