good advice for 9i rookies

From: Paul Murphy <pmurphy_at_scsinet.com>
Date: Tue, 05 Nov 2002 03:32:14 GMT

I've spent quite a bit of money on books trying to learn about Oracle 9i and study for the OCP / DBA tests. By far the best, clearest, most complete information I've read so far is in the free Oracle PDF (9i Concepts). Also, when I tried to figure out what my problem was with SYS as SYSDBA being able to use any password (Sybrand Bakker let me know what it was (thanks!) and mentioned it was a documented feature...not in any of the books I bought.) Out of curiosity, I looked it up in the index of the Windows Security PDF and there the answer was...right there, in plain English.

So, take my advice fellow rookies...download the free PDFs. I was used to the garbage manuals you get with most software, not Oracle. I'm very impressed with the quality of technical writers they have writing these PDFs. If you're new to Oracle, trust me that this is good advice...read the 9i Concepts PDF.

http://otn.oracle.com/docs/products/oracle9i/doc_library/release2/nav/docind ex.htm

-Paul Murphy Received on Mon Nov 04 2002 - 21:32:14 CST