Re: ORA-01457

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 11:02:40 +0200

VictorReinhart wrote:

> I'm getting ORA-01457-converting column overflows decimal datatype
> when doing a FETCH in a MicroFocus COBOL program.
<snipped>
> The fetch variable is PIC S9(9)V99 COMP-3.

What is the data type of the column fetched?

I would try increasing the number of decimals as it seems the precision is the problem. Try a PIC S9(11)V9999 COMP-3 or something like that instead.

Changing the COMP-3 IMO will not make a difference as all you're doing is changing the internal representation of the variable. The PIC clauses enforces the implied number of decimals.

BTW, interesting that the PIC S9(9) COMP did work.. I would expected a similar runtime error. What happens if you do a PIC S9(9).99 COMP? (that is valid Cobol right? Using a fixed decimal position and not an implied one - been many years since I last used Cobol).

--
Billy