ORA-01457

From: VictorReinhart <victora.reinhart_at_phs.com>
Date: 19 Oct 2002 19:54:29 -0700

I'm getting ORA-01457-converting column overflows decimal datatype when doing a FETCH in a MicroFocus COBOL program.

The program was precompiled with Oracle Pro*COBOL 8.1.7 Precompiler, then compiled on MicroFocus COBOL 4.1 on Unix AIX 5.1.

It is fetching data from an Oracle 7.3 database on 64-bit DEC Tru64 Unix.

The fetch variable is PIC S9(9)V99 COMP-3.

The Precompiler and compiler both give a zero return code.

The ORA-01457 happens at runtime, when doing the FETCH. (The CONNECT, and OPEN CURSOR work just fine.)

I have tried various workarounds, such as:

  1. Use COMP instead of COMP-3. The precompiler complains that the variable is too big.
  2. Use COMP and reduce variable size from 9 to 7. The precompiler complains that scaling is not supported.
  3. Remove the V99. It precompiles and compiles, but fails at runtime with ORA-01457.
  4. Use COMP and remove the V99. It works, however, that removes the pennies from my variable, and they are needed.
  5. Use COMP-5 instead of COMP-3. The error messages are the same as with using COMP-3. (The situation doesn't improve.)

Any suggestions are welcome. There are only two other posts on this message, and no resolution was reported.

Thanks in advance :-)

VictorReinhart Received on Sat Oct 19 2002 - 21:54:29 CDT