Re: Index problem with Oracle 8.0.5

From: Dieter Ratsch <dieter.n-o-s-p-a-m.ratsch_at_epost.de>
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 22:21:51 +0200

Ziegler thomas wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is it possible to create an index in Descending order in Oracle 8.0.5 ?
> I've tried to add the keyword DESC after the column name but it seems to be
> ignored .
> Here is what I tried :
> CREATE INDEX Myindex ON MyTable (MyColumn DESC) ....
>
> Thanx,
> Thomas.

The DESC-option is supported only for compatibility with DB2. The created (ASC-)index is usable in both "directions" with the same performance.
Simply use "SELECT * FROM MyTable ORDER BY MyColumn [means: ASC]" resp. "SELECT * FROM MyTable ORDER BY MyColumn DESC"

regards
Dieter Received on Wed Oct 16 2002 - 15:21:51 CDT