Re: Jserver - Future

From: Sebastiano Pilla <etechweb_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 22:19:12 +0200

Tim Cross <tcross_at_nospam.une.edu.au> wrote:

> OK, I apologise - you have obviously done more work in this area than
> me. I think the confusion might be due to the OP's reference to
> tomcat, which was the alternative java servlet engine when I was doing
> servlets some time ago and confusion between jserv versus jserver - I
> was not aware that jserver refered to something different.
>
> However, I have to say I'm still a bit confused - my Oracle 8.1.7 DOES
> come with jserv, apache and BC4J - I cannot find any jserver or
> OC4J. The jserv it comes with IS the Apache Jserv which is a servlet
> engine and which IS a servlet project which seems to have stalled and
> does not comply with 2JEE (at least not the last time I checked).

I'll try to answer, but you'll have to accept that sometimes product names are rather poorly chosen.

JServer: name for the Java VM running inside an Oracle instance, either for an 8i database or 9i database. As far as I know, packages like utl_smtp depend on it.

JServ: old servlet engine by Apache, distributed by Oracle with their 8i database.

OC4J: servlet, JSP and EJB container, originally developed by Ironflare under the Orion name, about 1.5 years ago licensed by Oracle and now developed separately, is the Java core of Oracle's 9i application server.

Tomcat: servlet and JSP (not EJB) container developed by the Jakarta project, you can think of it as an evolution of JServ if you like, but the two are completely different code bases.

You cannot expect to find OC4J in your Oracle 8i database installation, though if you download OC4J from Oracle it can be made to connect to an Oracle 8i database.

Sebastiano Pilla Received on Wed Oct 16 2002 - 15:19:12 CDT