Re: Does anyone have some SQL source code for a UNI project

From: S2 <email_at_mail.com>
Date: Wed, 09 Oct 2002 11:05:05 +0200

Daniel Morgan wrote:

> S2 wrote:
>

>>Thomas Gaines wrote:
>>
>>>Crap, you say? Au contraire. Those diagrams and "create table" and
>>>"create index" statements and the constraint definitions are the essence
>>>of a schema design. Why are you even bothering with this class if you're
>>>not willing to put forth even the most basic of effort???
>>>
>>>TG
>>>
>>>Jamo wrote:
>>
>>well... it's true that they are the essence of a schema design, but
>>there are plenty of tools that create those statements for you, after
>>you "designed" the tables graphically and defined the business rules and
>>standars. see oracle designer. so they are not really a *necessary*
>>knowledge for the creation of a database.
>>anyway, sad that, i agree with you completely.
>>
>>--
>>
>>regards,
>>Simon
>

> Are there tools that do it for you? Absolutely. And there are taxi drivers that
> will drive you from place to place. The difference is that you pay the taxi
> driver.

there's a difference: the schema design is often (well... in big schemas always) done by "drawing" a "pseudo schema" first: the logical composition of the tables, and *then* you "fine tune" the whole thing by applying indexes and other stuff. here we *always* use a graphigal schema designer like oracle designer. doing so, you just have a better vision of the whole database. the create table 'n stuff becomes a secondary knowledge.

> If you don't change your attitude and learn to write SQL and PL/SQL no one with
> an IQ over room temperature in degrees Celsius will hire you. And why should
> they?

Thats true. And i agree with you.
--
regards,