Re: Determining whether Oracle8 Client is installed

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2002 07:44:45 +0200

SJ wrote:

> Hi. I am writing an InstallShield, and in it I need to determine
> whether Oracle8 Client is installed on Windows2000 machines. Is there
> a certain DLL I can check the version of, or is there no easy way to
> tell? Thanks for any help.

Difficult. Even if the Registry Keys are there, it does not mean that the installation of Oracle8 Client was not a complete screwup with missing protocol adapters, the ORACLE_HOME/bin not in the PATH, the TNSNAMES.ORA not configured, the SQLNET.ORA loaded with crap, etc. etc.

As difficult as it is to check if the user using your software has his brains installed the right way around and actually did bother to read the hardware and software requirements of your software.

Installers can never be idiot proof. So why even bother attempting to make them partially idiot proof? Rather invest that time and effort in bettering your software.

--
Billy