Re: Determining whether Oracle8 Client is installed

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2002 07:39:47 +0200

Daniel Morgan wrote:

>> Hi.  I am writing an InstallShield, and in it I need to determine
>> whether Oracle8 Client is installed on Windows2000 machines.  Is there
>> a certain DLL I can check the version of, or is there no easy way to
>> tell?  Thanks for any help.

> Look for the registry keys at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ORACLE.
>
> But this is about as useful, I would think, as is reinventing fire and
> likely a violation of Oracle's software licensing agreement. What can you
> possibly do to install the Oracle Client that isn't already done by the
> Oracle CD other than make a mess?

Who says he wants to install Oracle8 client Daniel? He said he want to check if it is installed.

Which also very likely could mean that he has an Oracle front-end client and as part of the installation process wants to check if Oracle8 Client (i.e. Net8) is already installed as it is a prerequisite for his software.

--
Billy