Re: Which Oracle client does Access use

From: Rauf Sarwar <rs_arwar_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 17 Jul 2002 16:09:01 -0700

"Niall Litchfield" <niall.litchfield_at_dial.pipex.com> wrote in message news:<3d3532a4$0$231$cc9e4d1f_at_news.dial.pipex.com>...
> "Sybrand Bakker" <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote in message
> >
> > "Randy Harris" <randy.harris_at_nospam.net> wrote in message
> > > Can someone please tell me how a MS Access application decides which
> Oracle
> > > version to use if there is more than one installed?
> <snip>
> > Ms Access doesn't choose anything. The driver being used in the ODBC DSN
> > will determine which software to use.
> > That being said, multiple homes can be a can of worms especially when you
> > have the newest home *first* in your PATH.
> > With respect to tnsnames.ora this can be prevented by setting the
> TNS_ADMIN
> > registry variable.
>
> Just to add a little bit. MS Access doesn't have to use ODBC (though it most
> commonly does) but can use an OLEDB provider. In this case you do have to
> set TNS_ADMIN (either in the registry or as an environment variable) and
> probably ORACLE_HOME as well.
>

> --
> Niall Litchfield
> Oracle DBA
> Audit Commission UK
> Please include version and platform
> and SQL where applicable
> It makes life easier and increases the
> likelihood of a good answer

Add yet again to previous posts.
You can also find out the location of Oracle's ODBC driver (Sqora32.dll) in registry at HKLM\SOFTWARE\ODBC\ODBCINST.INI\Oracle ODBC Driver\[Driver].
This will tell you exactly which driver is installed and it's location.

HTH
//Rauf Sarwar Received on Wed Jul 17 2002 - 18:09:01 CDT