Re: Which Oracle client does Access use

From: tojo <TomJordanNOSPAM_at_t-online.de>
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2002 19:20:11 +0200

In article <92eeeff0.0207171509.55a3f8e7_at_posting.google.com>, rs_arwar_at_hotmail.com says...

> "Niall Litchfield" <niall.litchfield_at_dial.pipex.com> wrote in message news:<3d3532a4$0$231$cc9e4d1f_at_news.dial.pipex.com>...

> > "Sybrand Bakker" <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote in message
> > >
> > > "Randy Harris" <randy.harris_at_nospam.net> wrote in message
> > Oracle
> > <snip>
> > > Ms Access doesn't choose anything. The driver being used in the ODBC DSN
> > > will determine which software to use.
> > > That being said, multiple homes can be a can of worms especially when you
> > > have the newest home *first* in your PATH.
> > > With respect to tnsnames.ora this can be prevented by setting the
> > TNS_ADMIN
> > > registry variable.
> >
> > Just to add a little bit. MS Access doesn't have to use ODBC (though it most
> > commonly does) but can use an OLEDB provider. In this case you do have to
> > set TNS_ADMIN (either in the registry or as an environment variable) and
> > probably ORACLE_HOME as well.
> >

> > --
> > Niall Litchfield
> > Oracle DBA
> > Audit Commission UK
> > Please include version and platform
> > and SQL where applicable
> > It makes life easier and increases the
> > likelihood of a good answer
>

> Add yet again to previous posts.
> You can also find out the location of Oracle's ODBC driver
> (Sqora32.dll) in registry at HKLM\SOFTWARE\ODBC\ODBCINST.INI\Oracle
> ODBC Driver\[Driver].
> This will tell you exactly which driver is installed and it's
> location.
>
> HTH
> //Rauf Sarwar

You can only have one version of the ODBC driver installed, regardless of how many homes you have. The ODBC driver's location won't tell you which home is current.

Has someone mentioned the Oracle Home Selector utility?