Re: Which Oracle client does Access use

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2002 09:52:57 +0200

"Randy Harris" <randy.harris_at_nospam.net> wrote in message news:JV3Z8.13011$t%5.6332073_at_newssvr28.news.prodigy.com...
> Can someone please tell me how a MS Access application decides which
Oracle
> version to use if there is more than one installed?
>
> I have an Access application accessing an 8.1.7 database across a network.
> A couple of the client systems have more than one version of Oracle
> installed. I can't seem to predict which version of Oracle the
application
> will use (specifically, which tnsnames.ora file). I've tried changing
the
> path and ORACLE_HOME environment variable, neither one seems to matter. I
> guess it must be something in the registry.
>
> Thanks for any ideas
> --
> Randy Harris

Ms Access doesn't choose anything. The driver being used in the ODBC DSN will determine which software to use.
That being said, multiple homes can be a can of worms especially when you have the newest home *first* in your PATH. With respect to tnsnames.ora this can be prevented by setting the TNS_ADMIN registry variable.

Hth

--
Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA