Re: Installation

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_nospam.cox.net>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2002 06:08:18 GMT

On Mon, 15 Jul 2002 15:26:25 GMT, Daniel Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com> wrote:
>Kevin Spencer wrote:
>
>> Daniel
>>
>> I have followed the installation insructions and followed them to the best
>> of my ability. I ran the orarun rpm and then checked the memory setting the
>> package set up and they seem to agree with the Oracle documentation. I have
>> also made sure the oracle user has been set up correctly as well.
>>
>> Unfortunately I am new to Linux and Oracle, but I have definately not
>> presumed that I am dealing with any sort of Microsoft product! But when I
>> run sqlplus I am duly asked for the username and password, as soon as I have
>> entered the password and press return I receive the following error message:
>>
>> ERROR:
>> ORA-01034: ORACLE not available
>> ORA-27101: shared memory realm does not exist
>> Linux Error: 2: No such file or directory
>>
>> Could it be an installation error, everthing seemed to install OK, I ran the
>> root.sh script at the correct time and there were no install errors.
>> The version of Linux I am using is SuSE 8.0 Pro. I have installed the latest
>> version of bin-utils as advised by SuSE! Is there anything obvious I could
>> have missed to produce this error?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Kevin
>> "Daniel Morgan" <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com> wrote in message

>> actually

>> installed
>> have

>> > Did you actually read the installation instructions on the CD and follow
>> them or
>> > just slide the CD in and assume that Oracle was a Microsoft product?
>> >
>> > Semaphores and shared memory allocation kernel settings are well covered
>> in the
>> > pre-installation instructions.
>> >
>> > Daniel Morgan
>> >

>I'm still leaning toward not configuring shared memory and semaphores correctly
>but Tweetie's posting does make bring up a good point.
>
>Go to $ORACLE_HOME/bin and run the following:
>
>lsnrctl status
>
>if the listener is started it will tell you how long. If not try:
>
>lsnrctl start
>
>Also check to see whether the database exists and is started ... I presume you
>chose TYPICAL from the installation and had it create the sample database. If so
>while still in the Oracle bin directory
>
>svrmgrl
>
>then type: 'connect internal' at the server manager command prompt SVRMGR>
>
>then type: SELECT COUNT(*) FROM tab$;
>
>If the database is not started then type: startup
>
>If you get any errors let us know what they are ... full error message ORA-#####
>and the full text.
>
>To exit server manager type: exit
>
>If the issue was that the database and listener were not started ... that too is
>covered in the documentation or can be found at http://tahiti.oracle.com.
>
>Daniel Morgan

Kevin:

Just an obscure possibility:

On some unix systems that are otherwise configured correctly, shared memory may not be released correctly under certain circumstances (such as crashing a db). Then when you try to start it up, there are shared mem errors.

To check, ipcs |grep ora when the db is started and when it isn't, so you learn what to look for. Also, search metalink for descriptions of how shared memory and semaphores work on unix.

But it does sound like you simply haven't started the db.

Another handy feature is the oerr program. Just type in oerr ORA 1034 (or whatever) from the shell, and it should give you a clue. Of course, should and does are two different things... :-)

jg

--
These opinions are my own.
http://www.garry.to                                       Oracle and unix guy.