Re: trigger script after archive log switch

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2002 22:55:20 +0200

"Philip Brown" <phil+s3_at_bolthole.no-bots.com> wrote in message news:slrnahhkpp.1j7l.phil+s3_at_bolthole.com...
> On Tue, 25 Jun 2002 21:08:16 +0200, postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl wrote:
> >"Philip Brown" <phil+s3_at_bolthole.no-bots.com> wrote in message
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> is there a way to automatically trigger a script after a new archive
log
> >>is created? ...
> >
> >Please explain what you are up to.
> >This is definitely not possible (and it shouldn't, as it might bring the
> >database on it's knees).
>
> eh? Why would simply saying "run this script" bring the database to its
> knees?
>

> >However as you are intentionally vague it is impossible to advise other
> >solutions.
>
> I am looking to invoke a system script, in the background, that will take
> care of copying the archive log, via scp, to an outside location.
> I dont want to simply use NFS with multiple archive dests, for multiple
> reasons.
>
> I am fully aware of potential overlap issues if the prior script has not
> finished running, etc. and will take care of that appropriately. I just
> need a way to make it get called automaticaly when a new archivelog
> is created, rather than have an inefficient demon that polls the directory
> every second or something.
>

> --
> [Trim the no-bots from my address to reply to me by email!]
> [ Do NOT email-CC me on posts. Pick one or the other.]
> S.1618 http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d105:SN01618:@@@D
> http://www.spamlaws.com/state/ca1.html

Ah the road to hell.
Insufficient disk space, don't we.
Why do you think Oracle invented automatic archiving? Just FYI: I'm *right now*, in overtime, all evening long from home, covering up for a customer who also didn't bought sufficient disk space, backing up those archives by means of RMAN manually. There is about 5G of archivelog per database per day (and as every breath is logged in the application, most of it is utterly useless).

Get those disks, or quit your job, but definitely don't try to be 'smart'. You might be kicked out when your 'solution' doesn't work.

Regards

--
Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA