Re: trigger script after archive log switch

From: Philip Brown <phil+s3_at_bolthole.no-bots.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2002 20:27:48 GMT

On Tue, 25 Jun 2002 21:08:16 +0200, postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl wrote:
>"Philip Brown" <phil+s3_at_bolthole.no-bots.com> wrote in message
>> Hello,
>>
>> is there a way to automatically trigger a script after a new archive log
>>is created? ...
>
>Please explain what you are up to.
>This is definitely not possible (and it shouldn't, as it might bring the
>database on it's knees).

eh? Why would simply saying "run this script" bring the database to its knees?

>However as you are intentionally vague it is impossible to advise other
>solutions.

I am looking to invoke a system script, in the background, that will take care of copying the archive log, via scp, to an outside location. I dont want to simply use NFS with multiple archive dests, for multiple reasons.

I am fully aware of potential overlap issues if the prior script has not finished running, etc. and will take care of that appropriately. I just need a way to make it get called automaticaly when a new archivelog is created, rather than have an inefficient demon that polls the directory every second or something.

S.1618 http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d105:SN01618:@@@D
http://www.spamlaws.com/state/ca1.html