Import commonality between Oracle and SQL Server

From: none <none_at_nowhere.net>
Date: Sat, 22 Jun 2002 18:00:13 GMT

 Is there a common function that exists in both Oracle and SQL Server that will allow bulk inserts without programmatically traversing the entire recordset?

I am developing an ADO/OLEDB client server app that must be able to use either an Oracle (>= 8i) or a MS SQLServer (>= 7.0) database. The app must allow a user to import data from csv and fixed length files. SQLServer offers the BULK INSERT functionality that simplifies operation and enhances performance. Oracle has the SQLLoader external program for importing files.

The database will store approximately 5 million items and will be loaded in batches of 50K to 100K rows. I have tried to traverse the input file record by record inserting rows but the process takes hours. I have considered writing db specific code but would like to avoid multiple codesets if possible.

Thanks in advance,
Eddie Received on Sat Jun 22 2002 - 13:00:13 CDT