Re: Import commonality between Oracle and SQL Server

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Sat, 22 Jun 2002 22:28:33 +0200

"none" <none_at_nowhere.net> wrote in message news:NW2R8.36870$OI6.4078724159_at_newssvr12.news.prodigy.com...
> Is there a common function that exists in both Oracle and SQL Server that
> will allow bulk inserts without programmatically traversing the entire
> recordset?
>
> I am developing an ADO/OLEDB client server app that must be able to use
> either an Oracle (>= 8i) or a MS SQLServer (>= 7.0) database. The app
must
> allow a user to import data from csv and fixed length files. SQLServer
> offers the BULK INSERT functionality that simplifies operation and
enhances
> performance. Oracle has the SQLLoader external program for importing
files.

> The database will store approximately 5 million items and will be loaded
in
> batches of 50K to 100K rows. I have tried to traverse the input file
record
> by record inserting rows but the process takes hours. I have considered
> writing db specific code but would like to avoid multiple codesets if
> possible.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Eddie

There are several common mistakes made by people brainwashed by Sqlserver.

- They never read manuals
- They always crosspost
- They think Oracle is Sqlserver sold by a different vendor.

As someone who is always confronted with 3rd party apps, that originated from Sqlserver and were simply 'ported' to Oracle, I can assure you this is the most secure way to disaster performance. Evidently the application vendor and their developers in that situation invariably blame Oracle and the Oracle DBA for not configuring Oracle correctly. Read the first chapters of the book by Thomas Kyte and return from your route to hell.

Regards

--
Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA