Re: Protecting tables and views?

From: Mark D Powell <mark.powell_at_eds.com>
Date: 5 Apr 2002 06:54:38 -0800

ed.prochak_at_alltel.com (Ed prochak) wrote in message news:<e51b160.0204040752.76bd2f58_at_posting.google.com>...
> GII <gii_at_videotron.ca> wrote in message news:<3CABA53A.2060502_at_videotron.ca>...
> > Hi,
> >
> > Are there any other strategies or ways to protect data or tables in
> > ORACLE besides the SQL GRANT statement? I would like to protect some
> > tables and views in my ORACLE account but cannot use the GRANT statement
> > because I don't have enough privileges, so I need another ways using
> > SQL. Thanks a bunch...
> >
> > Gabriel
>
> Talk to your DBA.
>
> If they are good they must have some reason for not giving you this
> privilege for your own tables. (I presume these are tables created in
> your account.) They will either give you the Privilege or do it for
> you.
>
> Otherwise, the only thing I can think of is security by obscurity
> (rename the tables and views regularly).
>
> Ed

Gabriel, protect from whom, and how? By default an object is only available to its owner or a DBA privileged user until grants on the object are given to other users/roles.

See the Concepts Manual for object privileges, roles, and if you need more security than these provide you can look into Row Level Security or as it is also called: Fine Grained Access. Basically you write a package that provides a where clause predicate that limits the rows accessible on a user by user basis. The predicate is normally determined based on values found using a context area set by a database logon trigger.

HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Fri Apr 05 2002 - 08:54:38 CST