REPOST: Re: Perl Crashes with large tnsnames.ora

From: TurkBear <jgreco1_at_mn.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2002 16:11:31 -0600

In fact you may want to move directly to a Directory Services ( of some flavor ) model, since Oracle has indicated a limited life for Oracle Names...

Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote:

>On 25 Jan 2002 11:40:55 -0800, craig.stalsberg_at_uscellular.com (Craig
>Stalsberg) wrote:
>
>>We have having a problem with PERL programs crashing trying to connect
>>with Oracle when we have a large number of entries in our tnsnams.ora
>>file. I believe the largest number allowed is somewhere around 165.
>>We are using Perl 5.005_03 on HP-UX 10. Anyone run into this problem?
>> How did you solve the problem?
>>
>>Craig Stalsberg
>>US Cellular
>
>1 Obviously this is a problem with Perl, not with Oracle
>2 anyone having more than 10-20 service names in a tnsnames.ora should
>consider setting up Oracle Names. It is easy enough to do so.
>I can't see any reason why anyone would voluntarily maintaining 165
>service names in tnsnames.ora, this is just asking for trouble.
>
>Regards
>
>Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA
>
>To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address

This message was cancelled from within The Unacanceller's glorious new software, Lotus 1-2-3 For Rogue Cancellers. Received on Fri Jan 25 2002 - 16:11:31 CST