REPOST: Re: Perl Crashes with large tnsnames.ora

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2002 23:08:12 +0100

On 25 Jan 2002 11:40:55 -0800, craig.stalsberg_at_uscellular.com (Craig Stalsberg) wrote:

>We have having a problem with PERL programs crashing trying to connect
>with Oracle when we have a large number of entries in our tnsnams.ora
>file. I believe the largest number allowed is somewhere around 165.
>We are using Perl 5.005_03 on HP-UX 10. Anyone run into this problem?
> How did you solve the problem?
>
>Craig Stalsberg
>US Cellular

1 Obviously this is a problem with Perl, not with Oracle 2 anyone having more than 10-20 service names in a tnsnames.ora should consider setting up Oracle Names. It is easy enough to do so. I can't see any reason why anyone would voluntarily maintaining 165 service names in tnsnames.ora, this is just asking for trouble.

Regards

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address

This message was cancelled from within The Unacanceller's glorious new software, Lotus 1-2-3 For Rogue Cancellers. Received on Fri Jan 25 2002 - 16:08:12 CST