Re: ``limit'' in Oracle?

From: Malcolm Dew-Jones <yf110_at_vtn1.victoria.tc.ca>
Date: 6 Dec 2001 16:44:46 -0800

Brian Lee (senux_at_senux.com.NOSPAM) wrote:
: Hi,

: I'm newbie at Oracle database. I want to get some part of data from
: Oracle database. I did follow SQL sentence in Oracle and it works.
: But it's very slow to get the result because the table is very huge.
: Is there more fast way to get result? I use ``limit'' function in MySQL for
: this case but I don't know how to do this in Oracle.

: select * from
: ( select rownum as mynum, * from big_log_tab where ip like '2%')
: where mynum between 100 and 110 order by datetime

I wonder if limiting the number of rows in the inner query would help at all, at least for the first sets of rows.

    ( select rownum as mynum, * from big_log_tab where ip like '2%'       and mynum < 110 )

Also, there's a way to tell oracle to optimize a query based on either thru put or response time. You could try to optimize your query based on response time. I think you can use a "hint" for this, but you'll have to look it up. Received on Thu Dec 06 2001 - 18:44:46 CST