Re: One or more Databases

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2001 13:17:42 +0100

"harry" <harry_at_home.com> wrote in message news:3bdd2648$0$232$ed9e5944_at_reading.news.pipex.net...
> Hi,
>
> I am new to the world of Oracle though have experience of developing for
> MSSQL. I am wondering what the preferred method of segregating data for
> different systems, apps etc is.
>
> Under MSSQL I would normally have different databases for different
> applications or testing etc. Oracle, from what I can gather normally has
one
> instance running due to the overhead? Therefore I presume you would
> segregate data using different schemas?
>
> Is it typical to create more than one database but only run one at a time?
> Any tips or pointers would be gladly appreciated.
>
> Regards,
> Harry

In Oracle 1 application is preferably one schema, multiple schemas in *one* database. This also reduces the need for distributed features. As Oracle is around since 1979, it implemented the methodology conceptual database, logical database physical database. In that era one typically created one database for a complete company, to share as much data as possible. Creating different databases will make the sharing much more difficult (there is no such thing as remote integrity check, but then most people switching from sqlserver to oracle don't implement RI at all)

The only real reason for having multiple databases, as far as I am concerned, is the development, test, production scenario. If you do create multiple databases it is typical to have them all running. Running one at time is to say the least *very* strange.

Regards,

Sybrand Bakker,
Senior Oracle DBA Received on Mon Oct 29 2001 - 06:17:42 CST