Re: Oracle8 Installation Problem

From: Neil Zanella <nzanella_at_cs.mun.ca>
Date: 7 Oct 2001 22:50:07 -0700

You are right. The CD that came with the book by Ramakrishnan and Gehrke was only good for Windows 98. I really should have checked this before posting. Fortunately it was possible for me to download Oracle 8i Personal Edition directly from the Oracle website. To be honest now that I have upgraded the RAM to 512 MB and reinstalled Red Hat 7.1 with a suitable partitioning scheme with a /tmp directory larger than 400 MB and a large enough /usr partition I am ready to install Oracle 9i Database. There would be no particular reason for me to migrate to Oracle 9i right now other than to keep up to date if it were not for the fact that Oracle 8i is glibc 2.1 based and Red Hat 7.1 comes with glibc 2.2 so I have no choice but to install the bulkier Oracle 9i. The package consisted of three CD images and I decided to download the packages overnight for that very reason.

Bye!

Neil