Re: sqlplus foo/bar@baz works; connect foo/bar@baz doesn't

From: Ban Spam <ban-spam_at_operamail.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 00:43:45 GMT

rene.nyffenegger_at_gmx.ch (Rene Nyffenegger) wrote in news:a6d06107.0109182307.25c7aa84_at_posting.google.com:

> Hi
>
> I have this weird problem on W2K: If I open a cmd box and
> type
> sqlplus foo/bar_at_baz, I can connect to baz as foo, as expected.
> But if I do a
> connect foo/bar_at_baz
> in the (same) sqlplus prompt I get an ORA-12154 error (german:
> TNS: Der Service Name konnte nicht aufgeloest werden,
> english translation would be something like
> TNS: could not resolve service name)
>
> SQLPLUS is 9.0.1.0.1 for Windows, while
> the DB Server is 8i on HP.
>
> What can cause this?
>
> AHA
> Rene

The first example of invoking sqlplus on the command line ONLY needs an entry in TNSNAMES.ORA file.

After you are "inside" the sqlplus application, you need BOTH an entry in TNSNAMES.ORA file, plus a database link (DB_LINK) defined inside the instance.

HTH & YMMV! Received on Wed Sep 19 2001 - 19:43:45 CDT