Re: Oracle does not display message in Spanish

From: Helen <hhjin_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 5 Jun 2001 11:07:05 -0700

"Sybrand Bakker" <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote in message news:<tho28s4skm9g52_at_beta-news.demon.nl>...
> "Helen" <hhjin_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > I successfully changed my database character set from US7ASCII to
 WE8ISO8859P1.

> > Instead of using 'select * from dual;', I think I should be able to use
> > 'seleccione * de dual;'. But Oracle does not recognize it.
> >
> > Also, it does not display messages in Spanish.
> >
> > What am I missing here?
> >
> > My configrations are,
> >
> > Unix: ORA_NLS33=$ORACLE_HOME/ocommon/nls/admin/data
> > NLS_LANG=spanish_spain.WE8ISO8859P1
> > LANGUAGE=spanish_spain.WE8ISO8859P1
> > Oralce:
> > > select * from nls_session_parameters
> > PARAMETER VALUE
> > ------------------------------ ----------------------------------------
> > NLS_LANGUAGE SPANISH
> > NLS_TERRITORY SPAIN
> > NLS_CURRENCY Pts
> > NLS_ISO_CURRENCY SPAIN
> > NLS_NUMERIC_CHARACTERS ,.
> > NLS_CALENDAR GREGORIAN
> > NLS_DATE_FORMAT DD/MM/RR
> > NLS_DATE_LANGUAGE SPANISH
> > NLS_SORT SPANISH
> > NLS_TIME_FORMAT HH24:MI:SSXFF
> > NLS_TIMESTAMP_FORMAT DD/MM/RR HH24:MI:SSXFF
> > NLS_TIME_TZ_FORMAT HH24:MI:SSXFF TZH:TZM
> > NLS_TIMESTAMP_TZ_FORMAT DD/MM/RR HH24:MI:SSXFF TZH:TZM
> > NLS_DUAL_CURRENCY ¿
> > NLS_COMP BINARY
> >

> > Thank you very much.
> >
> > Helen
>
> First of all : in order to get Spanish messages, you should have chosen
> Spanish as language during install. Otherwise only the english message
> libraries are copied. Find your *.msb files and you'll probably see you only
> have oraus.msb and the like.
> Secondly, changing language has nothing to do with characterset. You can
> leave the characterset unchanged and yet get non-english messages.
> Finally, all commands will always be in English, and as far as I am aware no
> software firm has localized its software to this level.
> Microsoft definitely didn't localize DOS to this extent.
>
> Time for re-installing Oracle I am afraid.
>
> Hth,
>
> Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA

It is very helpful. I did a custom installation to include Spanish. It did not help. I might have to do a reinstall as you suggested. I am wondering when choosing a language at the time of installation, can I include both English and Spanish? Don't know how Oracle determines what language it display messages in.

Helen Received on Tue Jun 05 2001 - 13:07:05 CDT