Re: Oracle does not display message in Spanish

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2001 00:20:09 +0200

"Helen" <hhjin_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message news:ebcac1e2.0106041332.51d75d96_at_posting.google.com...
> I successfully changed my database character set from US7ASCII to
 WE8ISO8859P1.

> Instead of using 'select * from dual;', I think I should be able to use
> 'seleccione * de dual;'. But Oracle does not recognize it.
>
> Also, it does not display messages in Spanish.
>
> What am I missing here?
>
> My configrations are,
>
> Unix: ORA_NLS33=$ORACLE_HOME/ocommon/nls/admin/data
> NLS_LANG=spanish_spain.WE8ISO8859P1
> LANGUAGE=spanish_spain.WE8ISO8859P1
> Oralce:
> > select * from nls_session_parameters
> PARAMETER VALUE
> ------------------------------ ----------------------------------------
> NLS_LANGUAGE SPANISH
> NLS_TERRITORY SPAIN
> NLS_CURRENCY Pts
> NLS_ISO_CURRENCY SPAIN
> NLS_NUMERIC_CHARACTERS ,.
> NLS_CALENDAR GREGORIAN
> NLS_DATE_FORMAT DD/MM/RR
> NLS_DATE_LANGUAGE SPANISH
> NLS_SORT SPANISH
> NLS_TIME_FORMAT HH24:MI:SSXFF
> NLS_TIMESTAMP_FORMAT DD/MM/RR HH24:MI:SSXFF
> NLS_TIME_TZ_FORMAT HH24:MI:SSXFF TZH:TZM
> NLS_TIMESTAMP_TZ_FORMAT DD/MM/RR HH24:MI:SSXFF TZH:TZM
> NLS_DUAL_CURRENCY ¿
> NLS_COMP BINARY
>

> Thank you very much.
>
> Helen

First of all : in order to get Spanish messages, you should have chosen Spanish as language during install. Otherwise only the english message libraries are copied. Find your *.msb files and you'll probably see you only have oraus.msb and the like.
Secondly, changing language has nothing to do with characterset. You can leave the characterset unchanged and yet get non-english messages. Finally, all commands will always be in English, and as far as I am aware no software firm has localized its software to this level. Microsoft definitely didn't localize DOS to this extent.

Time for re-installing Oracle I am afraid.

Hth,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA Received on Mon Jun 04 2001 - 17:20:09 CDT