Re: Can't create view

From: <catherine_devlin_at_purpleturtle.com>
Date: 31 May 2001 14:36:40 GMT

Hi, Michael! Thank you for clarifying post!

I can see what you mean - there's a need to be able to grant permissions that can't be quasi-passed on through procedures, etc., or else every grant becomes something like a grant WITH DBA OPTION.

Still, it's not the way I would have designed it. For one thing, I think there's a need for a convenient, userdefined  group of privileges that can be granted and revoked in a bundle, and I think a "role" is a good name for that. By trying to make the "role" concept fill both this privilege-package need and the without-DBA-option need, I think it loses some of its effectiveness as a bundle of privileges, plus there's the confusion of trying to accomplish two different objectives with it.

If it were me, I'd let priveleges be granted WITH REFERENCE(?) OPTION, WITHOUT REFERENCE OPTION, or WITH DBA OPTION - I'm just making up "reference" as a term to include procedures, views, etc. - to be explicit about to what degree those priveleges can be passed on. Then you'd be able to create roles that really were pure agglomerations of privileges.

But, hey - who died and made me Larry Ellison?

I guess it rarely comes up because most people have one ueber-owner for most/all of their procedures, views, etc. They give the ueber-owner all power and then can forget about it...

Well, anyway - thanks again for your explanation!