Re: Problems with MTS.

From: NetComrade <andreyNSPAM_at_bookexchange.net>
Date: Mon, 07 May 2001 22:43:11 GMT

I just wanted to let you know that in 8.1.7 it was _not_ resolved.

we've been fighting on this with oracle back in Jan, and they finally released a 'backdoor patch' or whatever it was called that resolved the hanging issue.

On Tue, 1 May 2001 23:02:25 +0200, "Sybrand Bakker" <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote:

>"John Peterson" <johnp_at_azstarnet.com> wrote in message
>> Hello, all!
>>
>> We are running Oracle 8.1.7 on RH Linux 6.2 (I think ;-). Recently, we
>> tried activating the Multi-Threaded Server (MTS) capability of Oracle to
 see
>> if we might get a better connection/process pooling capability.
>>
>> In our sandbox, when trying to execute a regular query with SQL*Plus (from
>> an 8.1.5 installation, though) it just seemed to "hang". We could
 seemingly
>> connect just fine, but the query just never returned.
>>
>> When we turn of the MTS feature, then SQL*Plus can run the query
>> successfully.
>>
>> I understand that this is a broad question, but does anyone know where we
>> might concentrate our troubleshooting efforts with MTS?
>>
>> Any ideas/suggestions would be much appreciated! Thank you! :-)
>>
>> John Peterson
>>

>Hi John,
>
>I have been troubleshooting this same problem at a big banking firm in the
>Netherlands as consultant, so I studied all aspects of MTS and I was unable
>to reproduce the problem, once *I* had set MTS up. Looks like the ratio
>between dispatchers and servers has been wrong.
>Can you post and/or e-mail your mts init.ora parameters and output from
>v$dispatcher, v$mts, v$circuit and v$shared_servers.
>I might run into something similar in the near future, and I am *anxious* to
>know what is going on.
>In 8.1.6.1 for Solaris there are situations where the dispatcher hangs for
>*exactly* 60 seconds, this has been qualified as a bug by Oracle and is
>resolved in 8.1.7 for Solaris. I'm not sure whether this is a generic bug,
>it hasn't been qualified as such by Oracle.
>I would go for an adequate number of servers first.
>This means for me : 2 dispatchers, and at least 10 servers
>
>Also : did you ever monitored your session using v$session_events and/or
>similar views? What was the outcome. It also looks like an incorrect
>relationship between the session data unit of net8 and the MTU of the server
>will be killing things. It also looks like not performing array fetches is
>killing performance
>
>Hth,
>
>Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA

In case I forgot to mention:
We use Oracle 7.3.4 and 8.1.6 on Solaris 2.6, 2.7 boxes
Andrey Dmitriev	 eFax: (978) 383-5892  Daytime: (917) 750-3630
AOL: NetComrade	 ICQ: 11340726 remove NSPAM to email