Re: Book recommendations please?

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Fri, 4 May 2001 07:53:47 +0200

"Nuno Souto" <nsouto_at_nsw.bigpond.net.au.nospam> wrote in message news:3af136a3.3553681_at_news-server...
> On Wed, 02 May 2001 09:53:04 -0700, Toni Graybill
> <toni_graybill_at_non.hp.com> wrote:
>
> >I have always found O'Reilley books (http://oreilly.com/) to be the
 answer to
> >most any technical problem. The authors are experienced, literate, and
 have a
> >sense of humor. I have many books on Oracle. I learned more from the
 first 34

> The two on design by Dave Ensor are not bad either. Due for an
> upgrade for 8i, but still darn good.
>
> But the ones that never leave my desk:
>
> Steve Adam's book. As deep as you'll ever want to get on techo stuff.
> Truly unique, but you need a big stomach (not a problem here,
> middle-age has struck...).
>
> Jonathan's book. Just got it. Been reading it from end to end, back
> again a few times. He's just put on paper every single guideline I've
> ever followed, and made them actual for 8i. Absolutely indispensable.
>
> Guy Harrison's two books: the reference for commands and the High
> Performance SQL, second edition. Also indispensable, they replace a
> lot of ORACLE manuals. The command reference needs a review, it has a
> few syntax errors. But it's much more convenient than all the other
> manuals from O.
>
> Steve Feuerstein's series on PL/SQL. For those occasions when you
> can't remember where the heck does the hiding go in a package
> declaration, or what the frig was the syntax for that darn
> RESTRICT_REFERENCES and why. And a whole lot more.
>
> If you deal with Unix, two books are essential:
>
> The one by Morle about scaling 8i and the one by Alomari on tuning for
> UNIX. Excellent references to destroy the occasional idiot who thinks
> bitmap indexes are great for highly volatile tables and reverse
> indexes are great for range searches. And absolutely wants you to
> blanket-create them on ALL tables! :-)
>
> And the backup and recovery book by Velpuri, from ORACLE press. The
> best resource for all the good oil on recovery, as well as an
> excellent source for event doco and hidden recovery parameters.
>

> Cheers
> Nuno Souto
> nsouto_at_bigpond.net.au.nospam
> http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/the_Den/index.html

Let's shake hands! Except for the Alomari book, which I lost on a consultancy assignment, and didn't yet replace, and the Velpuri, which has so much overlap with others, and in that light is a bit expensive, I have them all!

Regards,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA Received on Fri May 04 2001 - 00:53:47 CDT