Re: Book recommendations please?

From: Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_nsw.bigpond.net.au.nospam>
Date: Thu, 03 May 2001 11:24:00 GMT

On Wed, 02 May 2001 09:53:04 -0700, Toni Graybill <toni_graybill_at_non.hp.com> wrote:

>I have always found O'Reilley books (http://oreilly.com/) to be the answer to
>most any technical problem. The authors are experienced, literate, and have a
>sense of humor. I have many books on Oracle. I learned more from the first 34

The two on design by Dave Ensor are not bad either. Due for an upgrade for 8i, but still darn good.

But the ones that never leave my desk:

Steve Adam's book. As deep as you'll ever want to get on techo stuff. Truly unique, but you need a big stomach (not a problem here, middle-age has struck...).

Jonathan's book. Just got it. Been reading it from end to end, back again a few times. He's just put on paper every single guideline I've ever followed, and made them actual for 8i. Absolutely indispensable.

Guy Harrison's two books: the reference for commands and the High Performance SQL, second edition. Also indispensable, they replace a lot of ORACLE manuals. The command reference needs a review, it has a few syntax errors. But it's much more convenient than all the other manuals from O.

Steve Feuerstein's series on PL/SQL. For those occasions when you can't remember where the heck does the hiding go in a package declaration, or what the frig was the syntax for that darn RESTRICT_REFERENCES and why. And a whole lot more.

If you deal with Unix, two books are essential:

The one by Morle about scaling 8i and the one by Alomari on tuning for UNIX. Excellent references to destroy the occasional idiot who thinks bitmap indexes are great for highly volatile tables and reverse indexes are great for range searches. And absolutely wants you to blanket-create them on ALL tables! :-)

And the backup and recovery book by Velpuri, from ORACLE press. The best resource for all the good oil on recovery, as well as an excellent source for event doco and hidden recovery parameters.

Cheers
Nuno Souto
nsouto_at_bigpond.net.au.nospam
http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/the_Den/index.html Received on Thu May 03 2001 - 06:24:00 CDT