Re: Data extraction for Oracle 6.3??

From: Andreas Necker <Andreas.Necker_at_isb-ag.de>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 13:40:18 +0200

hi,

Colin Carpenter wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I have an interesting situation where I have been given an old (very old)
> HP-UX server running Oracle 6.3 - it has a database with lots of historical
> data on it. I have been tasked with getting all this data off the machine.
> This is not really my area of expertise and I would be most grateful for any
> pointers on how to get started. We have other database servers and I can
> connect to them with ODBC and use various interrogation tools but I'm not
> sure how to connect to this old box - it is on the network though and I can
> telnet to it.
>
> Any help would be gratefully receieved,
>
> Colin.

what about export/import?
try an full database export with system user (login as the oracle-dba via telnet)
exp system/manager file=db.dmp full=y

the dump file (db.dmp) is not ascii!

hth
andreas

--
Andreas Necker

ISB AG              Tel: +49 (0)721/82800-0
Karlstrasse 52-54   Fax: +49 (0)721/82800-82
76133 Karlsruhe     mailto:Andreas.Necker_at_isb-ag.de
Germany             http://www.isb-ag.de