Re: Data extraction for Oracle 6.3??

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 09:00:03 +0100

"Andreas Necker" <Andreas.Necker_at_isb-ag.de> wrote in message news:3AE6B7A2.B8CD2E4A_at_isb-ag.de...
> hi,
>
> Colin Carpenter wrote:
> >
> > Dear all,
> >
> > I have an interesting situation where I have been given an old (very
 old)
> > HP-UX server running Oracle 6.3 - it has a database with lots of
 historical
> > data on it. I have been tasked with getting all this data off the
 machine.
> > This is not really my area of expertise and I would be most grateful for
 any
> > pointers on how to get started. We have other database servers and I
 can
> > connect to them with ODBC and use various interrogation tools but I'm
 not
> > sure how to connect to this old box - it is on the network though and I
 can
> > telnet to it.
> >
> > Any help would be gratefully receieved,
> >
> > Colin.
>
> what about export/import?
> try an full database export with system user
> (login as the oracle-dba via telnet)
> exp system/manager file=db.dmp full=y
>
> the dump file (db.dmp) is not ascii!

This would work, but you'll need an Oracle 7 database and utilities to import into IIRC. So in other words to move from 6.3 to 8i would require building an intermediate 7.3 database. I'm sure this works in theory but I'd be intrigued to see it in practice. I'd go the sql*plus or third party tool route suggested by others.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA