Real-world object use?

From: Gerard Averill <gaverill_at_chsra.wisc.eduNOSPAM>
Date: 6 Mar 2001 00:06:18 GMT

I was wondering if anyone has used or is using the new object-oriented features of Oracle 8.x as part of a "real-world" application. Since these features, from an object-oriented standpoint, are still a little thin, IMHO, I'd be interested in how developers are making use of them.

One of the articles on Oracle's website (otn.oracle.com) about the new features of Oracle 9i states:

"To increase the usefulness of Objects, inheritance, type evolution and dynamic method dispatch are all supported in Oracle9i - greatly reducing the maintenance cost of using objects in application development." --Oracle 9i -New Features Summary

I've been hoping to replace most of an "object layer" I developed for use with several 7.3-based applications with a much simplier one making use of 8i object features, but am thinking maybe I should just wait for 9i!

Any thoughts out there?

Gerard Averill