Re: Real-world object use?

From: Avi Abrami <aabrami_at_intersystemsww.com>
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2001 12:39:56 +0200

Gerard Averill wrote:

> I was wondering if anyone has used or is using the new object-oriented features
> of Oracle 8.x as part of a "real-world" application. Since these features,
> from an object-oriented standpoint, are still a little thin, IMHO, I'd be
> interested in how developers are making use of them.
>
> One of the articles on Oracle's website (otn.oracle.com) about the new features
> of Oracle 9i states:
>
> "To increase the usefulness of Objects, inheritance, type evolution and
> dynamic method dispatch are all supported in Oracle9i - greatly reducing the
> maintenance cost of using objects in application development." --Oracle 9i -New
> Features Summary
>
> I've been hoping to replace most of an "object layer" I developed for use with
> several 7.3-based applications with a much simplier one making use of 8i object
> features, but am thinking maybe I should just wait for 9i!
>
> Any thoughts out there?

> --
> Gerard Averill

Here's a riddle for you...

In the "Oracle 9i Application Server new Features" document I read, it says that the EJB container in the application server is fully compliant with the EJB 1.1 spec. This means it _must_ support entity beans. However, the release notes state that only session beans are supported in the 9i release.

On the other hand, the "new features" document says that the 9i server uses the EJB container currently used in the 8i database, and the 8i EJB container (apparently) supports entity beans.

Can someone please explain - since I can't follow these contradictory statements.

Otherwise, Oracle Corp., stop doing a Micro$oft impersonation, and tell us what your software does do, not what it may eventually do!

Cheers,
Avi. Received on Tue Mar 06 2001 - 04:39:56 CST