Re: Newbie can't tell up from down!

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 05:56:57 +0100

"MadG" <patrick4133_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:6jnd6.15347$KP3.4906197_at_news3.rdc1.on.home.com...
> Newbie back for more!
>
> When I use the following command to view user constraints It gives me an
> error,
> a little help?
>
> Please and Thank-you.
>

> describe user_constraints select check_ctip, search_condition from
> user_constraints where table_name = 'TEXTBOOK';
>
> Also does anyone know of a couple of good reference web sites so I don't
> have to bother you guys?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Pat

You are combining the describe command and the select command. This is not going to work.
The docs are online at http://technet.oracle.com, but in your case I would buy Oracle 8i the complete reference by Kevin Loney published by Osborne/Oracle Press, as that are the manuals organised in tutorial fashion. No DBA tasks are discussed, for this there is the Oracle 8i dba handbook by the same author.

Hth,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA Received on Mon Jan 29 2001 - 22:56:57 CST