Re: Oracle8.1.7 on NT-Problems

From: <dmarcus48_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2000 18:33:22 GMT

Sigurd,

    The OMS is a NT service called oracle management service. You should see if in the control panel, services box. You need to start this service in order to use Enterprise Manager. In order to do a backup of the database, the easiest way is to shutdown the database and copy all of the files, datafiles, redo logs, control files, etc. If the machine you're copying to has a different disk layout you'll need to regen the control files. Otherwise you should just place the files in the same locations as they were on the source machine, same directory structures, and add the service to the new machine using oradim and the database should start.

Dave Marcus

In article <910cs2$b5q$02$1_at_news.t-online.com>,   "Sigurd Eckermann" <Sigurd.Eckermann_at_gmx.de> wrote:
> hallo,
>
> now I was able to install a basic working system. But some things are
 not
> clear or dont work.
>
> I used the utility Oracle DBA Studio (Enterprice Manager).
> It runs and I can see the database.
> Now I tried to backup the database by right mouse click on the dbf-
 file an
> choose backup.
> He said: The Oracle Management Server (OMS) is not running ...
> How can I connect to it and start this Application to backup my
 database
> file ?
> Which files should I backup ? There are 7 *.dbf and one *.ora files.
> If I want to backup this database and then install this database on a
> different system, is this possible or need I other programms
> to do this ?
>
> Configuration of the ODBC-Connection was ok, it worked with the
> ODBC-Testprogramm.
> How can I easiely test the odbc-connection with ASP or something like
 that ?
> How should the connection string look like ?
>
> Thx
> Sigurd Eckermann

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/ Received on Tue Dec 12 2000 - 12:33:22 CST